Every smoker, at some time or other, has struggled with learning how to roll a joint.
There are so many ways to enjoy cannabis these days: pipes, bongs, vaporizers, edible treats, patches, cannabis-infused beverages… the list goes on. But sometimes, all you’ve got is some weed and a pack of old papers lying around… and in that case, a good ol’ fashioned joint is just what the doctor ordered.
Now, as you probably know, rolling a good joint is more difficult than it appears — especially if you’re new to this game. But have no fear! I’ve scoured the internet for the best video tutorials out there, and thrown in a few of my own tips, tricks and insights, in order to create the only guide you’ll ever need.
Ladies and gentlemen, you’re about to learn how to roll a perfect joint.
What You’ll Need
- Weed. About a gram (give or take) of your favorite sweet, sticky herb.
- Rolling papers. I really like Buglers, for their size and taste as they burn. Raw organic hemp papers are a clean, healthy, environmentally friendly option, if you’re in to that sort of thing.
- Grinder. To break up your buds. Okay, you don’t really need a grinder, necessarily. You can do this part by hand — but having the right tool for the job can save you all sorts of time.
- Filter. Also known as a roach, tip, or crutch, this is a bit of rolled up card stock that goes in the end of your joint to keep weed from falling out in your mouth. It also keeps the end from getting sealed shut by your slobbery lips, and enables you to smoke all the herb without burning your fingers. This is totally optional, and I don’t usually don’t bother with ’em myself. But they are all the rage these days, and all the cool kids are doing it. Here’s a good video that shows you different materials you can use, and how to fold ’em and roll ’em:
How To Roll A Joint: Video Tutorials
Alright, now that you’ve got all your materials together, let’s get rolling.
1. The Classic Cone w/ Filter
This video from 420guide.org gives you a quick, no-nonsense demonstration of the most popular joint rolling method, while Method Man spits some smooth, seductive verses at you, for a bonus. This is a classic technique that’s fairly easy to learn. The result is a joint that’s a bit skinnier at the filter end — that’s where your mouth goes, FYI — and it gets fatter as it goes up.
Tip for Beginners: with this method, you don’t have to roll it perfectly tight in the beginning, because you can pack it down afterwards (that’s what he’s doing when he taps it on the table repeatedly). That makes a bit easier on you, if you haven’t mastered the art of tucking and rolling a nice, tight, even joint.
The downside to this video is that there’s not much in the way of detailed instruction… which brings us to video #2.
2. Seth Rogen Teaches You How To Roll A Joint
Funny man Seth Rogen (from the stoner masterpiece Pineapple Express) teaches you his preferred method, and does a great job of breaking down the finer points of joint rolling, in this well-produced video tutorial.
Here’s the key: use your thumb and forefinger to roll the paper back and forth, compressing the weed into a tight cylinder, then tuck the bottom edge in with your thumbs. It takes some practice to really master this, but once you’ve got it down the rest is easy.
Notice that he tears his paper in a certain way to make it easier to tuck, and he adds the filter tip after the joint is rolled. A little different, but it works. He also “baptizes” the joint, which is cool if you’re smoking alone… but if you’re smoking with friends, they may not be so crazy about the idea of you glazing it with your saliva before they put it to their lips. Just sayin’.
3. Bogart Demonstrates Different Methods
This video demonstrates several methods for how to roll a joint, including how to fold the paper into a little boat shape, so your weed doesn’t spill out. This can be very helpful for beginners! It goes to show you that there is no “one right way” — feel free to experiment, and find what works best for you.
4. Wiz Khalifa Shows You How To Do “The Twist”
I love this video for many reasons. 1) Wiz Khalifa has all the swag, style and street cred you could ask for. Who better to teach you the ancient and mysterious art of joint rolling? 2) He’s in a freakin’ hot tub, for God’s sake! And 3) he demonstrates my personal favorite joint rolling trick of all time, “the Twist.”
Twist those corners. Notice how he folds the paper, and then takes the corner and gives it a little twist, creating a convenient boat shape that holds the weed perfectly. I’ve been smoking cannabis for 15 years, and rolling my own tobacco, too. In that time, needless to say, I’ve rolled a lot of smokes — and in my humble opinion, this method can’t be beat. Plus, if you don’t have any filter tip material on hand, you can twist both corners of the paper, and it gives the smoking end a small, tight opening that won’t leave weed crumbs falling out in your mouth.
So there you have it. The best advice, from some of the most notorious smokers on the web. Watch these videos a few times, and practice some different techniques to find your personal favorite. It takes time, and you’ll probably end up rolling a few crappy joints before you get the hang of it. But don’t give up! Stick with it, and you’ll be rolling like a pro in no time.