A nutritional breakfast and an intoxicating treat rolled into one, these Wake & Bake Tater Cakes are the perfect way to start your day!
Recipe yields 12 cakes (or stones 6 people).
What You Need
- 4 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots
- 2-3 tbs non dairy milk
- 2 tbs cannabutter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 or 1 1/2 cups chickpea or rice flour
- seasonings (paprika, sage, dill, thyme, salt & pepper, nutritional yeast) to taste
- coconut oil
- muffin or cupcake pans
- metal pot
- knife & cutting board
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Chop potatoes into small pieces and boil in salted water until soft. (Cutting the potatoes smaller reduces cooking time!)
- While waiting on potatoes, finely chop onion and garlic, and chop or grate carrot.
- Drain and mash taters with a masher or fork, and add a splash of milk. Avoid using so much liquid that the potatoes turn soupy, or too creamy. It’s best to leave in some lumps and thickness.
- Mix in veggies, spices, butter, baking powder, flour & yeast, and cheese if you’re using it, until gently doughy. If you’re using wheat-based flour, be careful of over-mixing, as the dough will become too tough to work.
- Grease muffin/cupcake tins with coconut oil. Spoon dough into the tins and bake until golden brown and crispy.
Although best served hot and fresh, these tater cakes are still absolutely delicious when eaten cold the next morning!
As a topper, you could melt more cheese, or use chopped green onions, salsa, or a dollop of barbecue sauce. My favorite way to eat these potato cakes is with a generous heap of hot sauce and a few slices of salted avocado. It’s really good fats, and a fantastic way to do a wake-and-bake breakfast, or to rejuvenate from a nasty hangover!