You can go into just about any town in America and locate a bar. Every day around 5 o’clock you can watch as people flock to these taverns to go in and enjoy a few cocktails to unwind from their day. You can also open up the news almost every day and find a story about how a drunk driver caused an accident which ended up taking the life of an innocent person. In states such as Colorado, Washington, and Oregon where cannabis consumers can purchase marijuana you will not find cannabis clubs where people can partake in a toke from a joint with friends to unwind from their day and that is a sad fact.
Science has shown that alcohol is significantly more dangerous than cannabis and it has also proven that alcohol drastically impairs your ability to drive whereas cannabis has little to no effect on an individual’s driving capabilities. One group in Denver Colorado is looking to change this and recently submitted over 8,000 signatures to be approved in hopes of putting their initiative on this November’s ballot.
Responsible Use Denver had the language of their initiative approved earlier this year and the team of 20 activists have been tirelessly working to obtain enough qualifying signatures to allow the residents in the city to vote on their initiative this fall. The initiative introduced by Responsible Use Denver aims to legalize the inception of private cannabis clubs where adults over the age of 21 can become a member and have a place to socialize with like-minded people while enjoying a toke.
The initiative put forth by Responsible Use Denver would allow for individuals over the age of 21 to apply for licensing to open a Private Cannabis Club. The stipulations include but are not limited to the following;
- Applicants must be over the age of 21.
- Private Cannabis Clubs can’t exist on the same premises as a bar or restaurant.
- Private Cannabis Clubs can only be accessed by members that are 21 years of age or older.
- Private Cannabis Clubs will not sell, distribute, or manufacture cannabis or marijuana-based products on their premises.
- All consumption must take place in an enclosed area that is ventilated separately from any other existing areas.
- Premises must be clearly marked with signage that notes the area can only be accessed by adults over the age of 21 and that the business is a Private Cannabis Club where cannabis may be consumed.
image credit: facebook.com/responsibleusedenver