Everyone knows that good weed and good music go together like peanut butter and jelly, like cake and ice cream, like cookies and milk… like it was meant to be. In a previous post, 20 Great Songs to Smoke To, I listed many of my favorite songs to listen to when I’m high. The list has become a favorite here at Weed Reader, and I thought it was about time for another installment.
Because there’s a whole wide world of music out there, and 20 songs doesn’t even scratch the surface!
But before we dive into the tracks, a word about my criteria. First of all, these are NOT songs about weed, or getting high. Those are a dime a dozen, and generally not that great. Rather, this is a list of really good songs, that don’t necessarily have anything to do with weed, but which really come alive for you when you’re “under the influence.”
Other than being great songs, I have two rules for what gets included in this list. Rule #1: variety. I have tried to pull from different genres and cultures — from classic rock and jazz to modern hip hop and electronica — in order to create a rich and eclectic playlist. I have also chosen only one track from each artist, for the same reason.
Rule #2: depth. These are not simple tracks, that give up all their secrets at once. Each of these songs has layers upon layers, and you can listen to them over and over again and keep discovering new meanings, metaphors, and subtle movements that stir up new thoughts and feelings. Some are funky and soulful, others are more ambient and “trippy” — but all of them require your rapt attention in order to fully appreciate.
So with that said, let’s get to the good stuff. Here, in no particular order, are 20 more great songs smoke to. So put on your headphones and turn up the volume, relax, lay back, light up and enjoy 🙂
1. Anoushka Shankar — “Burn”
2. Hieroglyphics — “Let It Roll”
3. The Mahavishnu Orchestra — “Lotus On Irish Streams”
4. Robert DeLong — “Global Concepts”
5. Yes — “Heart of the Sunrise”
6. Talib Kweli — “The Perfect Beat (ft. KRS One)”
7. Jefferson Airplane — “Wooden Ships”
8. David Bowie — “Sweet Thing/Candidate/Sweet Thing (Reprise)”
9. John Frusciante — “Unreachable”
10. Tool — “Lateralus”
11. Shpongle — “Divine Moments of Truth”
12. D’Angelo — “How Does It Feel?”
13. Witchcraft — “An Alternative to Freedom”
14. Joanna Newsom — “Sawdust & Diamonds”
15. King Crimson — “Epitaph”
16. Led Zeppelin — “Since I’ve Been Loving You”
18. Ali Akbar Khan — “Lullaby”
19. A Tribe Called Red — “R.E.D. (ft. Yasiin Bey, Narcy and Black Bear)”
20. Weather Report — “Mysterious Traveller”
That’s all… until next time! I hope you enjoyed the music. What are some of your favorite songs to smoke to? Give me your suggestions and feedback in the comments below!